Tuesday 15 May 2012

Seb's head

Well in my haste to get to Chloe's school assembly on time because I promised I wouldn't miss it, I had to run into the supermarket to grab some rice milk to keep Noah and Sebastian quiet while we were there. I put Noah in the seat at the front of the trolley and put Seb into the big part. As I pushed up onto the escalator (the flat type) the trolley jerked and Seb fell head first onto the escalator with an incredible bang. The floor was obviously made of metal and it was in this pattern IIIIIIIIII. Two of the ridges stabbed into Sebastian's head and blood started pouring out. I was covered in blood and so was he. I felt like a horrible mother. He was breathing in short little gasps. I took him to the dr. He calmed down and they glued his head. I then raced to the school and amazingly hadn't missed Chloe's performance so at least one thing went right.
He seemed fine for the rest of the night but the following day he started vomiting, refusing food and being lethargic and sooky- all signs of concussion. So off to the hospital we go. They did a cat scan which Seb was fascinated by-"I'm going backwards" (as the bed automatically slid backwards into the machine). He insisted I take a photo. They said he had no bleeds and that he had a beautiful brain :)
The night however was not over because the dr picked up that Sebastian has a heart murmur. She obviously didn't like the sound of it because she made him have a chest x-ray, an ECG and has referred him on to a cardiologist. That appointment is still pending.
I've been trying to clean Seb's head a bit but he won't let me near it and I'm not pushing him. I know as parents we all have these things happen- babies roll off beds, toddlers touch fire places and kids fall of their scooters but when it's your kid it's hard not feel guilty and replay the event over and over. I could have taken an extra 30 seconds and gotten the pram out of the boot or I could have insisted he sat down in the trolley. Lesson learned I guess. I think I've apologised to him enough times. He was saying "I'm so sorry" to the floor when he bumped it which is exactly what I was continuously saying to him. Very cute. Kids are great fun.

Seb in the cat scan machine

No comments:

Post a Comment